Friday, August 31, 2012

Weekday baking and making!

So, being the unemployed I still am, I got down to baking something my grandma had been pestering my mum to make. Can you guess what it is?

Right it's carrot cake! Not the Chinese hawker food but the western cake! It was after baking it that I realised that it was so easy to make! Didn't even need an electric mixer. The hardest past was probably the shredding of the carrots because I had to shred 330g of it. Which was like 4 carrots. I took quite a long time to shred those carrots, which is probably the rate-limiting step! Hahaha talking in chemistry terms. After that, it's just measuring the ingredients and soaking raisins and then mixing them all together. Then it's the batter in the oven for an hour. It has to be the longest time I have baked something in the oven for. The usual time is about 20 minutes. Quite surprised it wasn't charred or anything! Just that the raisins on top tasted burnt.

I was efficient and mixed the icing sugar and cream cheese while the cake was in the oven being cooked. I used almost double the cream cheese the recipe asked for since my family loves the cream cheese topping.

The finished product! Quite proud of it because I spread the cheese myself and it was my first attempt at creaming a cake and it doesn't look too horrible, right? Hahaha.

And the inside of the cake. Look at the amount of raisins in it. I love raisins! The only bad thing about raisins is the high sugar content, so although it's rather healthy, it must be eaten in moderation. I remember my mum buying a big box of Sunmaid raisins for me as a snack during my exam period. Once I opened the box I and started eating, I just couldn't stop. That's how much of a raisin lover I am. I'm going to buy a big pack of raisins sold for baking to eat as a snack! A much cheaper alternative as well. Okay I realise I sound so much like a glutton. Better stop talking about raisins.

And just had to spam more photos of the cake! I'm going to have some for my tea time snack later! I love the cheese!

And I made jelly beancurd as well after following the recipe on some people's blogs. It's really easy to make, just that the ingredients are quite expensive since they're all in big packets. Just had to dissolve them in water together with the instant jelly powder from phoon huat. It doesn't taste exactly the same as what is sold outside but it's good enough for me! Need to make this more often!

And the product!

1 comment:

jx:D said...

SAMPLE SAMPLE SAMPLE :P
Lol.