Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Swatow Dimsum buffet

Ate at Swatow restaurant at Toa Payoh with Fanqin since she was craving for dimsum and she wanted to have it before she left. Toa Payoh is like my childhood hangout place. Just really familiar with that place since my primary school was near there and I often went to the library to study during the Os and the As. Just being in that area brought back so many memories. Though the library has changed so much beyond recognition (lol), I definitely still remember how the old Toa Payoh library looked like! The restaurant was just beside the library. It took over fortunate restaurant.

Had a light breakfast in the morning before leaving since the buffet only started at 3pm. Couldn't possibly starve till then and have my only meal there. So we arrived on the dot because we were really hungry):
It's not the usual buffet style where you order and they bring it to you. They dictate what food you have by bringing out the food and going around asking whether you want them. The bad thing was the steamed stuff came out really late.

First up: Glutinous rice in lotus leaf. Tasted really nice. Probably because I never eat this anywhere else. Don't like to fill my tummy with carbs, but this was the first they served and I was so hungry. There was salted egg yolk in it which made it taste good!
Then the char siew pastry. Which was nice in my opinion! Should have gotten another one.
This was their specialty. Only served once. I don't know what this was, but there was wasabi in it and I'm guessing wasabi lovers will like this! Not that strong but enough to make an impact.
Sharks Fin, also only served once.
Some pork rib, which was so fatty and full of oil. I don't recommend this if you don't like to eat fatty pork.
This was fish meat wrapped in beancurd skin, which tasted quite meh also. ><
Chicken feet, which Fanqin ate! Not a fan of these either.
And this is a must try because as you can see, there were 6 scallops for 6 pieces. Wanted to order more but my stomach had no more space. Think they had other fillings like charsiew but they only served this to us.
Egg tarts which I liked and Fanqin didn't. I think it's just because I haven't eaten egg tarts in a long long long long time. And tempura prawns which were normal only! Should save space for other food.

And this was when I tried to be greedy. Took 2 each for both of us but we couldn't finish. Actually I think the tactic should be to wait for all the food to be served then start eating. If not you'll be so full from eating all the fried stuff. And the photos were all taken in order. So as you can see it's all the fried stuff. So greasy but there was also free flow of drinks. I had barley which didn't taste too sweet.

Really don't know what this was. My first time seeing these as well. But it was quite nice and healthy because it was filled with water chestnuts and really crunchy.

And this, goldfish. It's just a orange har kow I feel! Haha made to look nice in a repackaged form with an extra pea and 2 sesame seeds. So lame I know.

And then finally the har kow! But didn't taste as good because the skin didn't taste very nice.

And vegetables which I insisted on ordering and finished the entire plate because of my healthy lifestyle motto. If I were healthy I wouldn't even be stuffing myself with all these fried food.><

And this is what I should have saved my stomach for! Custard buns. My first time trying it and I love them! I finished all 3 because Fanqin couldn't eat anymore:X As soon as they brought these out, everyone started taking their phones out and taking photos of these, to post on instagram maybe. Been seeing too much of these photos that I got tempted to try them(:

Here's my photo of the flowy custard. Can't compare to the other nicer photos I've seen but it was so difficult to take this so I die die also want to upload. Haha! Really didn't expect it to taste both salty and sweet. Just expected it to be sweet and smooth and boy was I taken by surprise. I love the texture of it. Definitely going to try more of these from different restaurants. 

Xiao long baos which tastes the same almost everywhere. I think it's just me. I can't appreciate them.

Desserts time! I chose herbal jelly instead of mango pudding. It was a lot more bitter than I expected.

So we ate all these. Doesn't seem like a lot right! But I ate so much till I almost puked and vowed never to eat so much again. Overall, it's quite worth it if you go in a bigger group because you'll get to try more varieties of dimsum. We skipped all the porridge, noodles and yam stuff that we don't eat. Foodwise, I think yum cha tastes better, in my opinion. But yum cha is about $2 more expensive if you don't include all the +++ yet. So we settled for this. The bill came to about $23 per person. I think the next time I eat dim sum will be x months later! Haven't gotten over the nauseous feeling I felt for hours after the meal. And needless to say, I skipped dinner and weighed a lot heavier than what I weighed the previous day.

What I wore that day. My favourite TTR fairylights maxi skirt and a random v neck tee from Korea. It's the only maxi skirt that I own. Haha:D I don't wear it at the waist because it's loose. Altered the skirt at the waist so it fits better now, but it's still a little loose. Which is a good thing since I didn't feel too suffocated in it after the buffet.
Don't really like going for buffets anymore since I can't really eat as much as before (yes I was a bigger glutton then) which makes it not very worth it. I feel very hungry at the start of the buffet then I start eating very quickly but I get full very quickly as well. And the worse thing is that by the time I realise I'm very full it's too late because I don't stop eating when I'm about 60% full and still continue eating. But I still like having nice food! Haha having a small craving for Jap food now.


Haha and ending off with a photo of my favourite ice cream! My mum bought it from the supermarkets because there was a one for one promotion! If I could eat ice cream for all 3 meals of the day without getting fat, I will!

2 comments:

SimplyMe said...

:O SO MUCH FOOD!!!!!!!!! But it all looks so super good! >< hehehehe

Samantha said...

Haha doesn't really look like a lot now that I look at it><