Monday, August 06, 2012

LSM3212: Human physiology: Cardiopulmonary system

The title says it all. I would say this was my favourite module of all the year 3 modules. It was one where I enjoyed the lectures and the practicals. Probably because it was about the human body and parts that can be seen literally and not about neurotransmitters or hormones that I can't even see. Took this in sem 2 when my friends had all taken it in sem 1. The lecturers are different for the 2 semesters, apart from Prof Lina Lim who lectured on the heart. And I think the focus was kind of different as well. I would say it seems easier to take in sem 2 because the content is a little bit lesser and there was no negative marking in sem 2.

So the reason for the popularity of this module was the MCQ final exam - the only level 3000 BMS module with solely MCQ for final exams.

Content wise, I would say it's much lesser than other modules like Immunology, Pharmacology, microbiology and molecular basis of human diseases. Because of the multiple choice questions. I know my mentality is very bad but this is how I always think. It wouldn't be so bad if it's MCQs, because at least I can guess, and less memory work in the sense that you don't need to memorise in detail.

The blood (Prof Schwarz), heart (Prof Lina Lim) and lungs (Prof Bernard Leung) were covered separately (of course), with Prof Fabian Lim coming in to lecture in between to connect the content covered by the other lecturers with sports physiology. He kind of makes everything clearer by drawing a line across all aspects. I enjoyed his lectures although he always tended to go very slowly and in detail at the start and then rush towards the end because he had to finish the slides. All 3 other profs end early or on time. Prof Bernard Leung usually only takes an hour to finish his lecture so we could go for early lunch! But lectures for this module are webcasted so you don't even need to come to school if you only have this lecture. But I went for all the lectures because I had company for lecture and lunch and I hate webcasts.

Practical sessions are different from the other BMS modules because you don't need the lab coat at all and no lab work involving reagents are required as well. They're more like demonstration sessions where we just observed the treadmill stress test and stuff which was at the DXO and learning how to take the blood pressure manually and the cardiac reflex. My memory is foggy now but there wasn't much to know. But there was a quiz which is 5% each for 3 practical sessions. So you need to at least pay attention to what you need to know and bring some notes. Better to have friends because you can discuss the questions. There were tutorial sessions, 3 sessions, one each for each lecturer.

Moving on to the aspect of assignments. There were 2 assignments to be done. For Prof Lina Lim's, it was a group assignment about space travel, but I think it's going to be different for every sem, and Prof Bernard Leung's was individual assignment. And Prof Schwarz gave a CA so there was no assignment.

Overall, I really enjoyed this module. I didn't believe my friend when she told me she recommended this module but I did so myself in the end. However, I took quite a bit of time to understand the heart aspect of the module because the notes was not very clear and it took a lot of discussion with my friends for us to understand during reading week. And the toughest questions in the exam came from Prof Lina. Really need to understand everything very clearly so you can picture all the scenarios stated in the questions. But for the other profs, the questions were okay. I didn't get a very good grade for this because I forgot quite a lot of stuff and I got a bit distracted. But I still did okay(:

No comments: