Thursday, August 09, 2012

PC1327 Science of music review!

Took this module to fulfill the faculty requirement. Science of music is also a GEK but I already took so many general education modules. The main reason for taking this was that there was no final exam for this module. One module down after week 13! I always aim to take modules with no final exams. Hahaha cheap thrills, which is why I like language modules as well!

So this module is relatively easier than other physics modules because the 2 CAs (25% each I think) are MCQ (as you already know, my favourite), and only 25/30 questions each. Open book meaning you can bring all the notes and formulas in. Relatively easy but the bell curve is very steep because a lot of people who took this have music background. I think to score an A you would need to get full marks for both CAs.

The lecturer is very kind and friendly. Always willing to give additional information about the module which is not found in the notes. The lecture notes are very easy to understand as well. Basic stuff like octave and echos, simple multiplication about the speed of sound and all. And the music component covered aspects like the musical notes. Tutorial sessions every week or every alternate week. Not webcasted if I recall correctly so you need to attend the lectures or just rely on the notes. And lectures twice a week.

Other assessments include one essay about a concert review and one music composition using a free software called Anvil Studio. I don't have much music background but I managed to come up with a decent piece. Afterall, it was only one minute or something. It was quite fun to tinker around with the software.

Many say this is a cap puller but not for me! I would say only if you have a music background would you have an advantage over others! But it's interesting and a very light module in my opinion. Good for life science students with a lot of stuff to memorise.



And on a random note, does anyone like Mr Bean ice cream like me? Ending off with a photo of my favourite ice cream that I had last week. It's a healthier choice food! Though I checked before and it contains about 200 calories. Probably because it's made from soya beans. Don't understand why it's more ex in a cup than on a cone. Shouldn't the cone be more expensive since there is an additional cone? Hahaha but it's okay, I like the cone version more! And I always thought the Mr Bean mascot is very cute with its tongue sticking out. I even tried drawing it once.


2 comments:

jx:D said...

Haha, maybe the container is more environmentally unfriendly! Lol, generate more waste than the cone paper:P

Samantha said...

jx: haha probably to punish those who want to eat it in the cup!