Thursday, September 27, 2012

Spontaneous day out

Didn't have any plans last weekend to go out, but I got to go out when my grandaunt asked my grandma out to shop for a bit and just walk around town. It was so spontaneous. I finished breakfast and was told to go and bathe and change to go out. I had fun nonetheless! It was my first time out with my grand aunt and I was kind of afraid of how it'd turn out but it was all good in the end.

I think the day consisted of mostly eating. I felt so full at the end of the day and was really scared of how much my weight would increase the next morning. We first went for lunch at Paradise dynasty at Ion. My first time there, and before that I only knew it was the place that serves colourful xiao long bao. But we didn't try those because we thought it would taste weird so we stuck with the usual original ones which tasted good. Get ready for more food photos!

This is a three-egg chilled dish with salted egg, century egg and normal egg. I must say it tasted really really delicious! I, for one, don't eat and have never eaten century egg, but after trying this, I realised that it doesn't have any weird/funny taste. I'm not very adventurous with food and once I find something I like, I stick to it till the end, so I've never tried century egg. It's worth a try if you don't dislike any type of egg. Rather unique I say.

 Soupy xiao long baos! I love dipping them in ginger with vinegar. I think everyone does, right!

My grand aunt and grandma. My grandma says people have commented that they look alike but she doesn't think so. I can see a little similarity although it's not very obvious.

A pastry filled with radish. This was really really good! It's super nice, both the outer and inner filling. I think it was good that it was three of us since most of the dishes were served in threes, so we could just have one each, which means more space for other varieties of food. My grand aunt kept telling me to take photos of the food before eating it, and would wait for me to finish taking photos before eating, which reminded me of my Mum.

Look at the filling! Okay I know it looks plain from the photo. It was so hot and the pastry was so crispy. It's like my favourite type of curry puff.

La mian with black fungus. Not a fan of noodles or rice but it tasted good as well. Their service was rather good.

Red bean paste pancake! I liked it because it's so crispy. I only recently started eating red bean paste because of jollibean pancake! Because I felt peanut filling was too much and too fattening though I love them, I chose red bean as a healthier choice, although not much healthier, I guess!
 Huge gyozas

Doesn't seem like a lot (or does it?), but I was quite full after having all those. Probably because we ate it really slowly. The service was rather good as well. Because the red bean pancake is supposed to be a dessert and they were very prompt in serving it once we finished our main dishes.

Shopped around in Orchard after that. Haven't done actual shopping for such a long time that the prices of clothes outside turned me off. I very much prefer shopping online since the quality is so much better and prices are much lower, although they're not from high street brands.

Dinner was at Swatow restaurant in Toa Payoh! I went there previously for their buffet. But it was my first time trying their normal menu. My grandma and grand aunt went there previously so they just ordered what they knew to be nice so I got to have the nice food!
This was a fish soup with seaweed and mushroom and fish maw. Quite a lot for three people. I think we had about 2 bowls each. The fish slices were really thick and nice! Excuse the half filled pot, since we already had half of the soup and my grand aunt said I forgot to take a photo so I just took it like that. So funny of her right! Because her children also take photo of their food before eating so she's used to it! So hip and cool!
Cereal prawns. I LOVE! They asked for it to be de-shelled and it was such a good decision. No oily fingers, just really nice and non overcooked prawns.
My grandma refusing to smile because she was self conscious about her new set of dentures. Hence the closed mouth look.
My grandma and I! My grandma just changed her dentures and somehow it just looks different compared to the old one. I wonder if a person's teeth can really make such a difference on someone's appearance. But I guess it's just a matter of getting used to. Still, that would mean that the person looks different and you need to get used to his/her looks right?? I think my grandma looks better with this new set of teeth! Just need to get used to it!
Garlic vegetables, with a lot of oil. My grandma says. I'm an advocate of healthy eating so when I cook, I use very little oil, in my grandma's words. So they don't look as good as what she cooks, she says when I lament that the food I cook don't look nice. But healthy eating trumps all, right!
Noodles which I didn't get to take a photo in its original plate because they split it for us.

Omg I was really really really  full from the lunch and dinner. It's been a rather long time since I had Chinese food outside. Most of the time it's western food, but I like Chinese food too, because it's in my roots after all. If I could choose something to eat everyday for the rest of my life, like I told my friend, I said I would choose to have minced meat noodles, the dry style! Although not healthy, but just a hypothetical thought!

No comments: