Thursday, September 20, 2012

Baking and food again!

So in an attempt to do something everyday, I got down to baking cheddar biscuits! My brother watched someone baking it on tv and found the recipe online and it seemed pretty easy to bake. My first savoury biscuits. It's a really fattening and high calorie food though! The amount of butter used was so much, about 350g of it. And cheese which has high saturated fat content. Unhealthiness aside, it tasted really good when it was just out of the oven, crumbly, buttery and of course cheesy. My brother had the idea to make them so huge because the recipe said to cut into 8 pieces, but of course I wasn't going to do that, so we took half the batter each (we made double portion) and made them our own style. I made them into round patties so it wouldn't be too much to consume at once, and my brother made them into giant pieces.

 Before going into the oven
 My brother's idea
And mine. I really like how the biscuits turned out, with a crackled texture at the top because of the egg wash that we spread at the top before baking.

And the next day my mum wanted to bake chiffon cake so I helped her with the basic steps while she beat the egg whites and sugar. Don't be fooled by the small innocent looking slice of chiffon cake. It is so full of saturated fat, sugar and calories. I calculated the amount of calories from the coconut milk, sugar and butter and it amounted to more than 100 calories for just one slice of cake! Definitely not a good choice for breakfast since it doesn't make you full and it seems so 'light'. Although it tastes really good, I need to cut down on the consumption. Bulk of the calories come from the sugar even though it didn't taste very sweet, so one thing to note is that even though something doesn't taste sweet, we must never assume that it doesn't contain a lot of sugar! And always remember that cakes/desserts always contain a lot of fat/sugar although it doesn't fill you up. Sad fact because I really like desserts. 
Photo of the innocent looking chiffon cake. I actually really really like chiffon cake or any other cake that has no fresh cream. This must be the reason why I gained so much weight over the years unknowingly.


And speaking of desserts, how can I leave out the TCC high tea set that I had with my mum and grandma after a trip to gardens by the bay. I loved the set! Quite value for money since it's $13.90 for tea and the set below. We initially wanted to order one to share and then order other food but in the end we decided on one set each. So I got to taste all the nice pastries and cakes! A combination of sweet and savoury snacks which I enjoyed. I loved the scones which were so crumbly and the jam that came with it. The dumpling looking thing is actually red bean which I don't really fancy, but tasted quite nice. And the prawn and scallop pastries were really good. Actually the portion was quite small so I was trying to eat them as slowly as I could so that I would feel fuller.

This was the mid autumn special set so I'm guessing that they change the items on the high tea set regularly. Wouldn't mind trying more of their sets if they have new ones.




Met my mum for lunch at Jcube on Monday because she told me there was one-for-one pasta at some restaurant there, but we were so unlucky to miss it by one day. So we settled for the 20% discount promotion that they had.

I had the seafood aglio olio since my mum's colleague said it was nice. It was rather nice! Well cooked and not too salty. Though it was quite oily towards the end

Couldn't help but compare it against my gold standard (hahaha using biology terms) of tcc's seafood aglio olio! The photo below is the one from tcc. No idea why the photo turned out portrait instead of landscape because it clearly was a landscape photo. If I were to compare, tcc's one definitely beats it hands down. It's spicy enough and the prawns and scallops are well cooked, just really good. You need to try it for yourself, really! Told my mum I'd treat her to the one at tcc next time so she can understand why I like it so much. One thing's for sure, both these pastas win the one from pizza hut. That one was too salty, too garlicky and just meh.


1 comment:

jx:D said...

Haha, you and your food postssssss! (: Aiming to be a food blogger right!