Friday, September 14, 2012

Failllll

The title says it all. I encountered my first failure in baking this year. I knew the cake would fail the moment I added the egg white and sugar to the other batter that it would fail. But my mum didn't scold me, lucky for me. Haha check out my cake that failed to rise. I was trying to bake the Japanese cotton cheesecake that sells for $10 for one small cake. My mum was telling me that it's so easy to make, like it can never go wrong. But I still failed because it involved the beating of egg whites and sugar which is always tricky. 
Look at how flat my cake is! I was so upset because it failed (although I already knew it would). The only consolation was that it didn't taste horrible. How can you go wrong with cheese anyway.


Yes this is how it is supposed to look like! My mum whipped these up in just a short span of 45 mins of preparation time. You know how long I took to prepare? I took 2 hours thereabouts!! This is the difference between the amateur and the expert.
This is to show how thick the cake is supposed to be. This cheesecake is not really unhealthy because one small slice has only about 30-40 calories. I Google-d. Apart from the cream cheese and the very small amount of butter (25g for 2 cakes), there really isn't anything not good about it. My favourite (healthier choice) cheesecake! The texture is so much like cotton.
Stacking up my 2 pathetic cakes can't even compare to one of my mum's successful cheesecake sigh!

I've got quite a phobia of beating egg whites and sugar so I won't be attempting this alone without any supervision. Someday I might attempt this again, but not for now!

5 comments:

SimplyMe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SimplyMe said...

Haha~! Opps. I always have typo error so i keep deleting my comments ><

Anyway, what i was trying to say is...
The experience is more important, though you THINK you have failed, you've actually not!

Just like how Thomas Edison thought he "failed" when he chose the wrong substance to make the tungsten, but by encountering such "failures", he gained so much knowledge for him to do something even greater!!!!! So I'm so convince you didn't really "fail"!!

<3<3<3

SimplyMe said...

Actually, i typed wrongly again... I should have said the "filament" instead of "tungsten"... Tungsten is the material he chose to make the filament ><

Samantha said...

Joanne: Haha that's true.. At least I learnt why it failed and how to prevent it again. But the zhong dian is that my family didn't get to have the supposedly nice cheesecake that I was supposed to bake! Maybe next time I will try it again!

SimplyMe said...

Hahaha! Yeahh. The next time maybe the cake is for us :D:D:D:D