Friday, September 07, 2012

Good times

 So I asked my mum to make this blueberry cheesecake for me last weekend. Don't get me wrong! I didn't demand for it, but I just kept saying over and over occasionally that she had promised to make this for me. But I helped her out in the end, and I could understand why my mum kept putting off making this cake. There are so many steps and it really isn't easy to make compared to the more classic baked cheesecake. Cream was used for this and there was no flour at all. And it's a non-baked cheesecake, which means the use of gelatine which I absolutely find it so hard to handle. But luckily my mum is a pro at baking. So I got to have these cakes. Not a good idea for my tummy but I guess it's fine since she hasn't made this in 2 years and might not be making this again anytime soon.

We ended up having too much of the cheese batter because of wrong estimations so we used ramekins to fill them up. The base was supposed to be some almond crust but we just substituted it with digestive biscuits which tasted good all the same.

My breakfast the next day!

Look at the thick layer of cheese, and blueberries.

In its cake form. I love taking photos of food because they turn out nice no matter what!

More photos of the cake!

And the next day my mum found a recipe for chocolate tarts and told me to use the remaining dough from the egg-tarts to make them. I took about two hours or so to roll the dough into the aluminium cups. About 16 of them. The dough was too soft, needed more flour, stuck to the rolling pin. Noob at work that's why. I think my mum only needs about half an hour or so. So in they go into the oven! They require pre-baking because the tarts need to be hard/crispy!

And making of the chocolate filling was really quick and easy. All I had to do was add milk, cream and chocolate into a pot and mix them together.

The final product! Really easy to make but I didn't really like the chocolate filling because it was a little too bitter for my liking. Good for people who like dark chocolate a lot!

Fast forward to last night! My friend and I decided to try a restaurant reviewed by a blogger. We were enticed by the cheap prices. Western food for less than $10! I can't remember the name of the restaurant but it was in Liang court (Saizeriya restaurant! I found it in my list of places to visit!). I actually have a list of restaurants to go and I intend to visit them at least once so I can strike them out, and right now I have only visited less than 5 of them! That's my long term goal hahaha.

We ordered everything to share so we could at least try the pasta/pizza.

Seafood chowder soup. Which was rather watery and not the sticky type I expected. But it tasted fine.

Salmon pizza! The pizza crust is the thick type so you'll definitely feel full after that. And although the photo in the menu looked like it's smoked salmon, the salmon was cooked thoroughly. Quite a unique pizza since I've never tried salmon on a pizza before. This was only $7.90! So cheap!

Squid ink pasta! It was nice as well. They were really generous with the squid. Only $5.90. But as always, I'm always afraid of eating squid ink pizza because of how black it always makes my lips and teeth look. Worth it for the price, really! I want to try more of their pastas! Definitely will be going back some day to try other items on their menu.
Okay I actually didn't feel very full immediately after eating. The experts always say that you should only eat till you're 80% full or so. But I always end up eating till I'm 100% full. I think it's because my brain takes very long to send signals to release the leptin which reduces my appetite. Leptin is a hormone that reduces your appetite so you don't keep on eating and stuffing your face.

As always, we always have space for desserts. Because we only spent about $8 each on dinner, we decided we would have dessert later on. So we walked back to clarke quay mrt station and walked around central, which took about 30 minutes, and we went to Haato for desserts. Okay I know it's a lot for a dinner but before that, I just unloaded a huge load off my back before that and wanted to have something nice for dinner! Had a presentation before that which I spent almost the entire week doing with a lot of difficulty and was on the verge of giving up. It was for an interview and I, during the preparations for the presentation, just got really upset, hence the upsetting blog post on Wednesday. Heaved a major breath of relief right after I left the place. Anyhow, I won't think about it until they contact me again. Time to pick myself up, search for more jobs and cross my fingers. I sidetracked again. Back to this very sinful but very nice dessert!

It's the chocolate fudge and marshmallow waffle set! I was torn between the banana one I tried with AFC the other time and this which looked so good. We settled for this in the end because I thought bananas at night was not such a good idea. But how much better an idea could chocolates be?? Hahaha. I poured the chocolate sauce all over the waffle and then the marshmallows and chocolate chips melted! I don't know if it's supposed to be eaten like this, but I liked that way a lot! I think plain marshmallows taste nicer melted. Everything was good about Haato, the food and the service, except its location. Because beside it, there're always people drinking, and then smoking as well. So the strong winds blew the smoke over despite us sitting quite far away from them.. After having this, I was so so so so so full. The dinner lasted me till about lunch time. And of course my weight increased.

And the watches I ordered last week on Gmarket arrived. I received a message from the Eurasia courier service telling me they delivered my item but I was not at home to receive it, so I thought I would have to arrange for a redelivery. But my brother actually heard the person knocking on the door and collected it for me! I went home and happily opened my pink package. It came in a nice golden box. So I'm a happy girl with my vintage looking watches. The delivery from Korea took only about 3 days. So impressed by the seller's efficiency and the watches look so nice. My mum jokingly told me to give her the brown one because it's too loose for me. Hahaha, I would have if not for the fact that she doesn't have the luxury of time to choose which watch to wear everyday. The brown one cost about $15 and the white one cost about $24. Which is reasonable to me:D So lucky of me to have chanced upon them by accident.


The leather for the white one is really thin but the design makes up for it so I guess it's fine! 

I just shopped online again because I got tempted by floral prints on a dress. I'm beginning to have this secret thought that if I spend more I will get a job soon because when things are very bad, like when I have hit rock bottom, then it can only get better. I don't know how true this is, but my mum encourages me to spend  because she says the same thing too! Hahaha. But I don't know how well she'll take to me shopping so often.

No comments: