Monday, October 01, 2012

GEK1509 Introduction to the nanoworld

I wonder if anyone has thought of taking this module other than my friends and I. Okay not that we were really interested in anything NANO, which is ten to the power of negative nine. I disliked all physics modules except science of music but we were out bidded like crazy for other modules (because we were year ones) and had no other choice but to bid for this, which we got for one point.

The content was so difficult, but not really a problem since the mid terms were open book if I remember correctly. Either that or the formulas were provided so you don't need to memorise the formulas. The questions were kind of blah, a little common sense here and there. Perhaps I don't have much, that's why I didn't do so well for them. Assessment was all in MCQs so it's quite a good thing if you don't like essays. Oh and you can't skip lectures because they gave surprise quizzes which are counted towards your final grade. Skip at your own risk! There was a group assignment, which was a term paper. We could write on anything as long as it was related to the topic of nanoworld or scanning tunnelling microscope.

The lectures were really boring. My friends and I started talking once we got bored, and I remember we took turns to bring snacks for the lecture. Mostly physics stuff like schrondinger's equation and all those stuff. The lecturers were really nice even though their content was boring. Once, there was a demonstration which was rather interesting though! The ball could float in air because of some gas they used, but for now I really can't remember what demonstration it was.

In all, I don't recommend this module! Unless you love physics, I highly doubt you'll enjoy this.

3 comments:

jx:D said...

Haha omg i think of those bad memories><

Steve said...

Thanks for your insight, it helped me

Anonymous said...

Hi

I came across your review online and I saw that u took GEH1028 previously.

I’m currently planning on taking this module and would love to have some additional resources (lecture, tutorial notes, past year papers, quizzes and assignments, book).

Could you kindly share your materials (files/folder) with me? I’d really appreciate it, truly.

If there’s anything I can do for you in return, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Thank you very much!

My email is: unistuff.nus@gmail.com