Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Red turtle cake

I love these ang ku kueh! Or red turtle cake directly translated from hokkien. I love the peanuts and the soft and slightly chewy skin bought from outside. So we decided to make our own last week since we had a lot of crushed peanuts. Found a recipe online and my grandma and I made them the next day. It's not that difficult to make, but I think it would have been easier if I didn't have to use the mould and just made them round. Some parts cracked when we knocked them out of the mould and we had to re-piece them back on. It was also quite difficult to roll the peanuts into ovals since they kept falling apart, but I managed it in the end. 

Completed products before going into the steamer! There were many cracked ones but I only chose the nice ones to show here hahaha. 


Fresh out of the steamer! I know the colour looks quite off because of the colouring that I added. It's a different kind of red from the one they normally use. Soft and chewy when it was still hot! But when it turned cold, it was a different story. It was so hard! Hahaha that's why we're beginners, and also because we didn't have enough sweet potatoes, which I think was the main reason why it was so hard. Looking at the photos make me feel like having one right now but there's no more at home):



Well I guess I understand why they price it at $0.50 each outside, because it takes some effort to make them individually, which will justify the price. But if they use machines (I don't know how also), then that's a different story altogether. 

2 comments:

jx:D said...

It looks really nice!
Pink in colour(: haha. Somr places outside also sell them in different colours(:

Samantha said...

Haha but then this colour looks so unappetising! The unsteamed ones look nice I feel!