Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Hatched again!

Visited Hatched again last Sunday because my brother wanted to eat poached eggs. I was surprised when my Mum whatsapp-ed me in the middle of dinner when I was out on Saturday night and said 'Breakfast at Holland V tomorrow'.

Reached there at about 1015 without any reservations and we were given seats upstairs by the window. The chair was rather uncomfortable, it was just metal pieces. You know, I like sitting on chairs that are soft and bouncy. But I kind of got used to it as time went by and wasn't bothered by it. That being said, I still prefer cushioned chairs. Also, it was quite cold but I guess it was probably just me. Service was prompt and the food arrived not too long after we placed our orders, although my youngest brother had already finished half his meal when our food arrived. He is quite a fast eater though.

My youngest brother ordered the Eggs royale, $19++.
 photo IMG_5791_zps476dafa8.jpg


The grey sauce on top of the mashed potatoes look like tuna to me but they said it was something else.

And my younger brother ordered Sir Benedict, also $19++.
 photo IMG_5793_zps6a2a0252.jpg

Both look good but the portion sizes were so small. I don't think it filled them up. The poached eggs were not really consistent as well. For the Sir Benedict, one of the egg yolks was not runny and didn't flow as it was supposed to, but luckily the other yolk made up for it. My brother said there wasn't enough meat in his set since ham and bacon don't really count. He had a mocha to go with his meal but it didn't seem impressive at all, I'm going to blog about a very nice cafe near church.

My Mum's papillote $16++ if I recall correctly.
 photo IMG_5789_zps357ad493.jpg

The scrambled eggs seem like a huge portion and my mum commented that it cannot possibly be 2 eggs, so I guess it could be more. Well, I love eggs but I try to stay away from them because I'm trying to watch my cholesterol level. Tried a potato and it wasn't hot or even warm at all. I'd have expected it to be at least warm but it wasn't. Rather disappointing as it was hard too. And my mum gave me some smoked salmon to try and it was quite salty. I'm not sure if smoked salmon is supposed to taste like that since I don't eat it often. I'm sure the eggs are good!

And the last to arrive was my shrooms overload! I find a need to explain how I decided to order this. I did not set out to order the largest meal among all of us. I was perusing the menu to look for something that doesn't have eggs in it. Yes I know, such an irony, trying to look for a non-egg item at Hatched which specializes in eggs, but I had too much fatty food the previous day so I was trying to eat a little healthier that day. Not that what I chose was healthy but you know, two egg yolks already exceed the recommended daily intake for cholesterol. At least I didn't eat two poached eggs or order scrambled eggs.

 photo IMG_5795_zpsd21d98b6.jpg


And I really got a shock when it arrived. An egg right in my face. First I didn't expect that there'd be a sunny side up, and second, I didn't expect that it would come with a burger. All I expected was a beef patty with mushrooms and cheese, served with salad and fries. That was all. I probably didn't read the menu very carefully because I was proudly telling my mum and brothers the reason why I chose to order shrooms overload - Because there is no egg. So all of them laughed at me when my plate arrived.
I was happy though! Looking at the huge plate of food that was mine. $19++, a tad expensive, after the taxes it'd be more than $20.

 photo 03a37aff-adf7-4a58-8b65-862da81a93b3_zpsdcb516ae.jpg

A photo of the burger unpacked. Hahaha. The fries are not the usual cut so it was rather unique, and thumbs up for less salt in the fries. And I liked the huge portobello mushroom and the generous serving of mushrooms beneath the cheese too. The burger top was crispy and not soggy. I liked it. The only thing I wasn't really pleased about was the lack of flavour in the beef patty. I like pique nique's beef patty the most. Yes it was juicy, yes it was tender, but no flavour. I have the habit of eating my burger separately but I really had to eat the beef patty together with mushrooms. And the bacon was very nice too. Crispy and not too fatty (or maybe it was too crispy until I couldn't taste the fat).
I really enjoyed my meal but I wouldn't go back specially for this. Too many all day breakfast restaurants to try before going back!


No comments: