Thursday, July 18, 2013

Family outing

Yes, do not be deceived by the title. It doesn't have anything to do with the variety show and everything to do with food and more food!

 photo IMG_4434_zps44c7e315.jpg


Again, my mum loves me and knew that I've been wanting to go to Swee Choon for the longest time ever to try their liu sha bao. My brother had been there a couple of times and for him to return, the food has got to be good.

My family picked me up after service on Saturday and off we went for dim sum. On a side note, I'm really happy that they all know that I attend church on Saturdays and go for life group on Friday nights on a regular basis, that it is not a passing fad or something temporary. I am just beginning my walk with God, taking baby steps.

There was a long queue (not long as in literally, but many groups of people were waiting for seats). I half expected my family to get angry and decide that they don't want to eat there, but my mum was so sporting. But we got a table quite quickly because it's difficult to seat 6 people I guess. So those couples and smaller groups of patrons would have to wait longer since that is the most denominations of patrons. We were given a sheet of paper to order our food while waiting so that the food can be prepared and served sooner after we sit, very ingenious of them to do so since we wouldn't complain about the long waiting time.

 photo IMG_4435_zps10d2c54a.jpg


If you're hungry now, I suggest you don't scroll further! Hahaha.

 photo IMG_4436_zps4a6d9ead.jpg

Egg white souffle with red bean and banana. Wow that was quite a mouthful. We didn't intend to order this initially, but we saw that it was a new item and that it contained red bean. My family loves red bean, well, except my youngest brother I guess. So good. I hope it is a permanent item on their menu because I will go back and order this again! 6 of us shared this, so we had to cut!

 photo IMG_4438_zps784b31d8.jpg

Mee suah kueh. First time trying mee suah kueh and it was crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. I likey! Don't remind me that it is friedddd. Hahaha.

 photo IMG_4439_zpscafbbcd8.jpg

Carrot cake which was equally good. I normally don't eat carrot cake in this form because I feel that it is a waste of my carb intake and it doesn't have much flavour. But I had quite a few pieces of this. I think the two places I'll eat carrot cake is at Swee Choon and Tim Ho Wan. So crispy!

 photo IMG_4440_zps37b06677.jpg

Another dish that I don't eat unless it is stuffed with prawns or scallops. Haha okay sounding so spoilt. I tried it and it tastes like how it usually tastes at home.

 photo IMG_4442_zps696578b4.jpg

Another deep fried item! The prawns were fresh and juicy and nice! It was rather huge as well. Remember a serving of prawn is 5 or 6 prawns so I most probably exceeded my one serving that night.

 photo IMG_4443_zps55ff5ca2.jpg

Evidence that I exceeded my serving size. Hahaha. The har gau is served in plates of two so we had to order three plates just so that we could have one each. The plates it came in is so cute, in terms of its size. The skin was thin and the prawns were flavourful.

 photo IMG_4444_zps8915f58c.jpg

Whoop! And rof course we had to order this. Red bean pancake! They were quite generous with their red bean paste and it was crispy too! My mum has figured out how to make this at home so I'll probably get fat at home from red bean paste. Hahaha.

 photo IMG_4445_zps6deb673b.jpg

Xiao long bao! Don't really remember how the xlb tasted. Suffice to say that I don't have a high standard when it comes to dim sum. I pass them all as long as they taste like how they usually should taste. Had two of those hehe.

 photo IMG_4446_zpsec48b424.jpg

Prawns in beancurd skin. Also a nice dish. It's quite big so if you don't want to be guilty of eating such a big fried item, just order one plate to share(:

 photo IMG_4447_zps7b4fe415.jpg

These have got to be the highlight of my night. I don't know about the rest, but my younger brother and I love liu sha bao! He eats the entire basket when he eats at Swee Choon with his friends. Hahaha, and I order many of them at Swatow. Really happy that the liu sha bao didn't disappoint!

 photo IMG_4448_zps6c289dd6.jpg

Look at the custard! Had two buns and it resulted in a very happy and satisfied tummy after.

 photo IMG_4452_zpsa441e0e2.jpg

Then it was dessert time! This is mango sago with pomelo. No real mangoes in it but it was not bad. I liked it but I will want to try the almond jelly dessert the next time.

 photo IMG_4455_zpsf6f3d154.jpg

My grandma's yam paste with pumpki, ginko nut and coconut milk. I liked how it came in such a cute container.

 photo IMG_4457_zps41d12551.jpg


We sat just right in front of the entrance to the kitchen and while we ate, we saw many interesting dishes being served. Curiosity got the better of us and I told my mum that I wanted to order this! It looked so interesting. I can't remember the name, but it's pancake skin with egg and meat floss. The taste was well balanced with the meat floss and cucumber which gave the crunchiness.

Definitely will be returning again. I wish I could go at unearthly hours to beat the crowd but my stomach wouldn't take very well to me eating at such timings. Oh the dilemma. It was a night well spent with the family, given that my brother is seldom at home these days. I guess our favourite past time is to eat! But such occasions are far and few between, usually limited to birthdays. Thankful to my mum who suggested that we eat there together(:









3 comments:

jx:D said...

haha looks so nice the dimsum!!!!!!! (((:

Samantha said...

Really my no. 1 supporter, you!<3

Samantha said...

Let's go there!