Sunday, April 14, 2013

The day I was born again

 photo h20_zpsac57df7f.jpg


This is hardly a glam photo but I just have to put it up because it holds so much significance to me. It's a celebration of my public announcement. Like the pastor said, 'No longer just Jesus and I under the tree.' So true though amusing as it may sound. While no one in my family will see it as a celebration for me, I celebrated it with the people I attend church with over dinner and prayers yesterday.

Never did I expect myself to get baptised so soon since I just started attending church just about a month or so ago. Not that I didn't want to, but I just felt that I was unprepared when my friend spoke to me about it last week. I just thought to myself, 'No, this is too soon. I'll wait for the next one.'
I had this mindset right until about 6:30 yesterday during service. The service, being about baptism as well, struck a chord in me. It changed my mindset, that there was no need to wait for the time when I felt fully prepared since there is actually no difference between a christian who is not baptised yet and a christian who has been baptised. At some point during the service, I wanted to do it then but silly me was worried about the logistics. I didn't bring a single thing to change, but they had everything prepared.

And actually, throughout the time that I was waiting for my turn, I was really worried about how my parents and family would react to it because I don't like doing or hiding things from my family. But I decided to worry about how to let them know about it later. All these worries disappeared after the leaders prayed for me.

When others asked me how I felt after the process, I couldn't answer them because I was so unprepared and I couldn't describe my feelings accurately. But indeed, on the way home yesterday, I felt different. I had this feeling like I was starting out on a brand new slate, everything wiped clean. I am determined to start afresh and follow God.

Really, God is good, so good, too good for words. I am always on the verge of tears during service because I get so touched by the wonder of God. I can't believe that I took so long to accept Jesus into my life even though I have been singing songs of praise since I was ten. But I'll never doubt God's timing because it is always perfect.

It must have been God who gave me that courage to tell my Mum about it. I felt so happy and I really wanted to share the news so I told it to almost every friend who I knew was a christian. All of them shared my joy too, though it's kind of sad that my family who is closest to me don't understand how I feel. But that's alright, I will keep praying so that one day they will. Their silent support for me is sufficient and I'm really really thankful for that. I really want to draw closer to God each and every day.

As quoted from Philipians 4:13, I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength.

This was the very quote in my mind right before my interview for my current job. I have no idea how this quote appeared in my mind out of the blue. And I'm thankful every day that I have a job, though some days might not seem to be smooth sailing. But that's how life is, isn't it? It adds colour to life, however unwelcome it might seem.

No comments: