Friday, April 12, 2013

Batam 2012

Not in chronological order because it was just a short trip of 2d1n. Even that is an overstatement because well, there really wasn't much to do there, apart from being tortured throughout the one hour massage which we couldn't back out from and brought to places to buy stuff in which the tour guides earned a commission, needless to say that we didn't let him earn any because we had no interest in whatever was being sold, except for the layer cakes which we got scammed into buying upon hearing the word 'home-made'. 

We took a ferry to Batam island, spent a horrid amount of time stuck at the customs because of the huge influx of tourists at that time. 
 photo IMG_3329_zps622a6d10.jpg
Nice view from the ferry cos we sat at the top deck. This was on our journey back to Singapore. I'm not a really good photographer but I try to capture nice shots. The horizon looks kind of horizontal here, which means my point and shoot skills are getting better!

 photo IMG_3310_zps90882824.jpg
Our hotel for the night. I must say that for the price we paid, we got a really good deal because the hotel was really good.

 photo IMG_3299_zps070c394e.jpg


 photo IMG_3312_zps6fd7a608.jpg
Another attempt at an abstract shot. I had to bend really low to capture top of the building.

 photo IMG_3296_zpsadae9bad.jpg
When in Indonesia, have A&W! It was my first time trying A&W, I guess I must have had them when I was a kid but I don't remember. I don't really fancy soft drinks so I ordered this to try only. Don't understand the fascination with floats because I only like the ice cream that sits atop the drink.

 photo IMG_3295_zpsaf2a96ec.jpg
This is an entirely different story altogether. It would have been my staple food, if not for the butter and eggs that went into making it. I cannot emphasize more on how I love love love waffles and pancakes, and A&W makes really good waffles. Why don't we have this in Singapore. But then again, it's a good thing that it can only be found overseas, then I wouldn't be always tempted by this.

 photo IMG_3289_zps964f98ab.jpg
Our hotel room. 

 photo IMG_3287_zps264dddee.jpg
Lunch on the first day, buffet style. This was my plate which was filled with more dishes than the mains of fried noodles. One thing I like about Indonesia is that they always have fruits at every meal, probably because it's easily available.

 photo D28D0387-7390-4772-A98D-0C05A0207946-6589-0000051DA92BC077_zpscdb4f044.jpg
Highly coveted waffles during breakfast at the hotel the next morning. We woke up late, went down late to find almost all the food wiped out by the early birds. By that time, they already stopped replenishing the food so we had to make do with what was left. Lesson to learn: Always be early whenever there is breakfast provided.
 photo F230D44D-DD00-45C5-9616-3EBA7C730524-6589-0000051DB31D6C42_zps73eb21a8.jpg
On a very unrelated note, visiting countries that are less developed compared to Singapore always gives me a realisation about how lucky and blessed I am to be born in Singapore. Being in a comfortable environment always inevitably breeds discontentment whenever we face small problems like trains being delayed and other minute events. I admit that I am guilty of complaining, grumbling and lamenting over all these as well, but after experiencing all these, I realised how small my problems were compared to theirs. At least, I don't have to worry where/when my next meal will be and how I will get the means to survive the next day. It's really sad that there is always social immobility, in the sense that it is very difficult for the poor to break out of their poverty, and that the rich just get richer. Where would the poor get money for education when their primary concern is money for food and survival? It really is all a matter of the opportunities one can get. It exists everywhere, just that it seemed more pronounced in a country like Indonesia. Henceforth, one goal that I want to work towards is to be content. No, not just being content, but being grateful and thankful everyday for everything that I've been blessed with. It really is a blessing because all that I have, it is not because I've done something great to deserve this, but simply by God's grace. I like the word Grace.  

 photo 373A8EE1-CE4C-4697-9C4D-DD5D78556B13-6589-0000051D984201ED_zpsc78204d6.jpg
At my brother's request, I bought this Home-made cheese flavoured layer cake which was nowhere as good as the layers brand that could be found at the ferry terminal but cost so much more. Bought half an original layer cake from 'layers' at the ferry terminal because I had too much currency left and was trying to spend them all, but to no avail. That half cake was really good, though I didn't have much. Layer cakes are super high in calories. Part of my weight gain over the years must have been due to these cakes, sheesh. Thank God I found out about eating healthily. 

 photo IMG_3315_zpsd5e276ef.jpg
Part two of breakfast. 

And I lugged quite a fair bit of toiletries home because they were really really cheap over in Indonesia. Haha so if anyone is going to Indonesia and has no where else to spend money on, just buy toiletries home! Or try the seaweed flavoured Lays which cannot be found in Singapore. I know I shouldn't be advocating the consumption of chips but it tasted rather nice! And always, everything in moderation. Okay I'm sounding like Hovstad/Aslaksen from An Enemy of The People and/or a health freak. 

1 comment:

jx:D said...

haha, you nvr post more pics! ^^