Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Mayim's Chinese Cuisine

This was after swimming one day in Yishun with Su Xian. I love swimming because you get to exercise yet you don't really feel the fatigue associated with land sports such as running, badminton or tennis. But I'm just a really amateur swimmer with a bronze certificate to my name. I still remember going for swimming lessons every week at Farrer Park when I was still in primary school. During that time, I saw swimming as a chore because I was still my fat and unhealthy self. But I guess I did like swimming at that time, just that I always felt very tired after the long sessions. Started swimming again only last year when we decided to make full use of the NUS facilities before we graduated. Thinking of swimming now makes me want to go swimming again!

Both of us are always lost souls when it comes to deciding what to eat. So I left it to Su Xian who has lived in Yishun for almost half her life I think! Haha and she suggested this Chinese restaurant. I guess I'm always more receptive to Chinese food because you can always find something healthier compared to Western restaurants where most of the food are fried and served in huge portions with fries.

 photo IMG_3879_zpsab614104.jpg

I had this spicy la mian with minced pork. Doesn't look very appetising and neither does it look healthy because of the chilli oil and all, but I can never pass up ordering something with chilli whenever I see that there is a spicy option. And it was nice, I liked the soup base and I recall the la mian was not too soggy. 

And it was dessert time! I didn't want to order desserts but Su Xian insisted. Haha and guess what, it was my favourite red bean again. 

 photo IMG_3881_zpsfe1bace9.jpg

This was red bean pancake with banana slices. Yummm. 

How did I not discover the goodness of red bean paste sooner. It all happened before an interview in SGH. I wanted to buy Mr Bean pancake but there was none where I was, so I settled for Jollibean pancake instead. And being the health conscious me, I decided on red bean paste instead of peanut paste. So you see, it was because I didn't want peanut that I chose red bean. But upon taking that first bite, it wasn't that I liked it instantly. And I was just eating because I was hungry. It was after the interview that I felt that the pancake tasted really good. The rest is history now, hahaha. I always order the red bean pancake whenever I get to. And maybe someday, I'll come up with a list of outlets with the most generous red bean paste and the nicest pancake, so I'll get an excuse to try all the red bean pancakes at all the outlets! Hahaha:D



1 comment:

jx:D said...

Haha, the red bean must be overflowing and ooze out one right!:P