Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Housewife

Okay this is something I'm very embarrassed to talk about - cooking, because I absolutely cannot cook, apart from cooking instant noodles, frying hot dogs. But I'm no longer embarrassed because I can cook now! Haha I've been learning from my grandma to lessen her load. Some photos of my cooking. They don't look very presentable but it's my first time cooking so I think it'll improve over time. If I continue cooking, that is. Some photos of what I tried cooking. 
Fish in sauce.
 I think fish has got to be the most difficult dish to cook. Mostly because I'm very scared of the oil sputtering all over the place, especially on my arms or face. And also, the fish has the tendency to stick onto the wok so it's quite difficult to flip it over considering that I'm so afraid of the oil. So it's really difficult to fry fish. But the job is mostly done when the fish has been fried. After adding the sauce and stuff the oil won't splash anymore so it's okay! Most of the fish I cooked is in this style because I love this sauce! It's the only style of fish I know apart from just frying it.

Potato with pork
 Potato is also quite difficult to cook because it involves frying it beforehand as well. Again the same problem. After watching how my grandma cooks, I'm so full of admiration and she just brushes me off, saying it just comes with experience. I think it's really not easy to cook everyday, so we should all show some appreciation to people who cook for us daily!(: Okay not trying to self praise or anything but I just think that we shouldn't take things for granted, or food on the table in this case.

Mushroom soup with fishballs and meatballs


Luncheon meat with baked beans
One of the easiest to cook because you don't really need to prepare anything much since both are canned food. I think instead of baked beans, potato can be used. Healthier choice maybe? Since potato is not canned or processed.
Tomato omelette
My favourite dish! I like cooking and eating this as well.

Cabbage with shrimps

Bittergourd with pork and black beans

Fish in sauce (again)

Don't know the english name of this. But it's jie lan in chinese. One of my favourites
In general, vegetables are not that difficult to fry/cook because for one, I don't need to stand away from the fire because of the oil, and the steps are the same for most if not all the vegetables and different seasoning can be added for different tastes. Not trying to be an expert since it's been only about 2 weeks since I started cooking a little with my grandma's assistance, but just a beginner's point of view.


Chicken in spicy gralic sauce from a packet


Tomato with egg (again)

 Cooked Korean pancakes some time after I got back from Korea. It doesn't look anything like the ones we had in Korea but at least it tasted a little like the ones we had.
Cooked army stew as well. It's my favourite stew because it contains all the unhealthy processed meat that I like such as hotdogs and luncheon meat. Shouldn't be eating so unhealthily but since I don't cook this often and I don't drink a lot each time, I guess it's okay^^. And it's quite easy to cook as well. Oh I actually cooked bulgogi stew as well, but I forgot to take a photo of it.

Other than cooking, I also baked a little. Red velvet cupcakes again. I got the recipe from browneyedbaker and I think it's the best recipe. I tried once using another recipe and it was a total flop! I really like her recipes and the results were good too.
My babies. hahaha. Before adding the frosting

And after

Tried baking brownies too and it was quite a success because I like brownies gooey and sticky. Might try other brownie recipes if I'm feeling adventurous.
Before entering the oven!


Ending off with food I had from TCC! I keep going back because of the one for one that they're having now and I keep ordering the same thing. The seafood aglio olio is my favourite! It's so spicy and it's under the healthier choice.


1 comment:

ty said...

LOL brownies! And i must say your cooking looks not bad for a beginner already! at least you are willing to learn :D It's also never too late!

i guess what your grandma said is right. it all comes with experience, and practise too! so..jia you and keep practising! <3