Tuesday, July 31, 2012

GEK2503: Remote sensing for Earth observation

I took this module really not knowing what it was going to be about at all until I attended the first lecture. It's was quite an interesting module, though I don't really advise anyone to take this. Basically it's about looking at satellite images and knowing what is going on in those photos/images. Different satellites give different colours like true colour and false colour. It's not really all about looking at green and blue or browns because there're a lot of other colours like red. I remember red also means vegetation because it's actually green. Just very confusing! Quite a lot of content was covered. It got a little boring after the first few weeks. The only thing I remember from this module are the names of the satellites like geoeye and quickbird. There were many others but I forgot them all. And also, different satellites give different types of images (ie, colour, true colour, false colour) so you need to know those details to know what you are looking at.

Lecturers: There were 2 lecturers, one main lecturer and a guest lecturer.

Lab sessions: It's just computer labs and we need to do lab reports. Can bring home to do and discuss with friends. But sometimes they make us finish by the end of the lab session which can be very stressful when we don't have a single idea about what the pictures are telling us. Yes the satellite images are very pretty and amazing, but I didn't know what they were at all and there's a project as well which is a report. Pair work so at least you don't need to do it alone.

It's a physics module so there're some equations to know. But the exam is open book and we could bring a cd with all the notes inside into the exam. I didn't really make use of the cd though. Just brought the notes I printed. But obviously because the exam is open book, the questions were so difficult. Really don't advise anyone to take this. Omg. It was one of the worst modules I took. Can't remember much about it also since I took this in year one. The only good thing about this module was that the final exam had very little weightage which was less stressful. Don't know about now but hope this helps people who are deciding on modules to take now(: In short, I really don't recommend anyone to take this unless you are a physics major or you have overwhelming interest in Geoeye, IKONOS, Quickbird. If you already don't know what I'm talking about now, I advise you to bid for other modules. 

No comments: