Friday, May 31, 2013

As we grow up, our parents are getting old as well

The title of my entry is such common sense but I feel that because we see our parents every day, we don't realise that they are getting older day by day as we grow up. My mother and grandmother often complain that their knees hurt and get tired easily from a short walk, but I often think that such distances shouldn't be a problem for them even though I do register in my mind that they are of older age. In my mind, my mother has not aged at all. She still appears to me as the active and energetic mum she was when I was in primary school, but one day it hit me all of a sudden that my mother is already in her fifties. I guess I am the one who has been wrapped up in my own process of growing up that my head didn't register this fact.
Sure, we celebrate birthdays every year. 

Perhaps it is because I have started working that I realise that my parents require my taking care of. Since the time I was born, they have been taking care of me and watching me grow. But soon to come, roles will be reversed, and I want to take care of them as well as they took care of me. 

This will be a promise to myself again. 

Family celebration for my Mum at Buffet town at Raffles city. It's funny how my Mum will ask me where to go for meals when we celebrate birthdays because the places on my list to visit are all 1. far away, 2. require queueing and 3. not to their palate. So we decided on buffet style so everyone can find something they like. 

Photos of what I picked 

 photo IMG_3385_zps4c8a1b39.jpg
First plate, a mish mash of everything from random counters. I'm not the type to pile my plate with a lot of food. I think the item you'll see most is broccoli, because I love it! It's my favourite vegetable, but one hardly goes to buffets for the vegetables right? Got my favourite seafood too: all time favourite has got to be fish! Followed by prawns and scallops.

 photo IMG_3386_zpsa2a02a24.jpg

Such an anticlimax second plate since I couldn't decide on what to take next. 

 photo IMG_3387_zps8acf1dba.jpg

And here comes the sashimi! Never ate sashimi until some time late last year. I always thought it'd taste weird but after trying it by chance once, I never looked back. Moreover it's healthy food:D :D

 photo IMG_3390_zpsdd447cb9.jpg

 photo IMG_3393_zps12502fb1.jpg

 photo IMG_3394_zps76dc0536.jpg

My obssession with raisins continue even at buffets><

 photo IMG_3395_zps3f6576c7.jpg


As you can see, I don't eat in the orderly manner like starters, mains, desserts, for fear that I'll get too full for desserts so I insert waffles in between. Buffet town has a really wide variety of food for families who have different tastes. They have a counter that allows you to pick vegetables and mushroom and they fry it for you, a satay and rojak counter as well. But I'm not really a fan of those so I skipped those. I can't really remember what else they have. I liked the steamed fish and sashimi the most. I remember there being pizza too but I didn't take it because the crust was rather thick and I didn't want to get full so fast. So I guess bringing me to a buffet is a waste of money considering the type of food I take. It's about $35 after taxes so it's kind of expensive to me, suitable for special occasions.

 photo IMG_3396_zps910125e8.jpg

Mum and Dad! We seldom take photos when we go out for meals so this is quite a rare photo.

 photo IMG_3398_zps3a6c0d49.jpg

My brothers and I.

 photo IMG_3399_zpse74173b3.jpg

Mum and grandma.





No comments: