Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Red turtle cake

I previously uploaded photos and talked about the nicest ang ku kueh I've ever had but at that time I didn't know the address or anything. My parents happened to pass by the area agan today and bought so many pieces home for me! Okay not exactly for me but my family too but it's really my favourite ever since I tried it. I had so many many many this time round. I keep telling myself that because its not everyday that they buy my favourite food.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Looking so shiny and delectable in a small styrofoam box. The peach coloured one is filled with red bean paste while the red ones are either peanut or mung bean paste. I love the peanut and red bean paste one. The skin remains soft despite being out in the open for almost a day and a half. The last time I made them, the skin turned so hard after it cooled down boohoo. I guess that is why their kueh is so famous.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Hehe close up of the red bean paste one. Previously, the red bean paste was liquid-like and would flow out but this time round, it didn't flow out at all but it's still very nice! I don't know if discovering the goodness of red bean paste is a good thing, it just makes me more tempted to eat more fatty food.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
And the peanut one!
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I didn't try the peanut one the previous time, or maybe I did. Haha I'm really not going to eat any other red turtle cake other than from Poh Cheu's. My brain will just automatically compare it with this. The peanut is so compact and crunchy. Was trying to figure out what goes into the filling and my guess is that it is made up of ground roasted peanuts some peanut powder, sugar and maybe some oil to make it so compact and smooth. 
Okay so after all my rambling, here's the address for people who are interested in trying these.

Poh Cheu
Blk 127, #01-230, Bukit Merah Lane 1, Singapore 150127
Going to try to make some red turtle cake soon and I'll post my endeavour here if I succeed. But first, I'll have to hunt for good recipes.

No comments: