Sunday, June 16, 2013

Mee Goreng!

Last weekend, I attempted frying/cooking mee goreng for the family! It all happened when I asked my grandma to pick a noodle for me to cook and she chose mee goreng from a recipe book by Agnes Chang. I think she's quite a well known cook/baker in Singapore and Malaysia. I don't have the title of the recipe book right now but it should be something along the lines of Hawker Delights. I didn't follow the exact recipe so I'll just post the recipe that I modified.

500g yellow noodles (the flat ones instead of the round ones for hokkien prawn mee)
200g pork/chicken fillet (seasoned using any sauces like sesame oil, light soya sauce, pepper)
4 tablespoons tomato sauce
2 tablespoons chilli sauce
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
3 pieces tau gua (cut into small cubes)
1 onion (cut into strips)
5 stalks of chye sim
3 eggs
4 tomatoes (cut into wedges)
6 sticks imitation crab sticks (cut into cubes)
10-15 prawns, shelled
50 cents of beansprouts (don't know the exact weight and they usually sell it in terms of price)

Steps (Posting the steps that I used instead of the exact steps from the book)
1. Stir fry tau gua until its a little brown and transfer to plate.
(If adding prawns, fry prawns until they're cooked and also transfer out to a plate because I don't like prawns to be too overcooked)
2. Fry onion first, then add seasoned pork/chicken and fry until cooked.
3. Add chye sim and fry until cooked.
4. Repeat the above with beansprouts.
5. Add yellow noodles and tomato sauce, chili sauce and light soy sauce (I mixed the 3 sauces in a bowl for convenience) 
6. Mix well and continue adding crab sticks, tomatoes, tau gua and prawns. 
7. Mix them into the noodles and ensure that the other ingredients are evenly interspersed among the noodles.
8. Beat eggs in a bowl and pour onto noodles. Mix well and ensure the eggs are cooked and it's ready to be served!

Didn't know that frying noodles can be so easy and quick. It's just the preparation phase that is difficult and time consuming. My family commented that it tasted nice so I can foresee myself frying this more often in future.

 photo IMG_4433_zps59faeaee.jpg

Nope, doesn't look appetizing in such a big wok

 photo IMG_4431_zps0b644057.jpg

Doesn't look that nice up close either.

 photo IMG_5242_zps17719812.jpg

Only when it has been dished out into a bowl or plate does it look somewhat presentable. But appearances of food doesn't matter at home and I'm not that good at plating.


No comments: