Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Lake Toba Day 2 (part 2)

And so we were headed towards Berastagi. Recently, it dawned on me that I've actually heard of Berastagi before! Guess where? .....From the potatoes in Fairprice! Haha I remember it from grocery shopping with my grandma previously. My grandma has this tendency to ask me where the particular vegetable or fruit is from. I remember seeing Berastagi and, oh..no idea. But now I know it is a part of Indonesia. Random bit of information that I'd like to remember.

Munching on cashew nuts now. How can they taste so nice that I can't stop munching on them. I guess it's cashews over chocolate or chips but it's still unhealthy to overindulge.

We were driven about in a car and not a bus, probably because the group was too small to rent a big bus, so 2 guides drove us and another group of 9 from Singapore around in 2 separate cars. Which was quite a good idea because it was rather comfortable if you exclude sitting on the seat belt buckle.

We stopped at a few points along the way. First up was Simarjarunjung, where we had afternoon tea of goreng pisang and tea.

 photo IMG_3561_zps94c19dac.jpg

Here, their rendition of goreng pisang. So different from Singapore's. I just had a small bite and gave my share to my colleagues because I don't really fancy deep fried food anymore. Can't take the taste of oil and my mouth feeling so greasy. Crispy, no doubt, but it was quite a lot of flour added. So I would say I prefer Singapore's version. Trying to think if I still like any fried food so I don't have to end up eating my words, lol. Still can't think of any.

 photo IMG_3563-Copy_zpsd9d8048c.jpg

Just had to upload this in light of the current hazy situation. This, I am very sure, was due to the cold and chilly temperatures higher up the mountains, and not due to ehem, slash and burn tactics. The weather was so chilly that I had to don my cardigan, and even that was not enough to keep me warm.

The next destination on the itinerary was the Sipiso Piso Waterfall. To be honest, the waterfall was the thing that made me want to go on the trip. But when we arrived at the waterfall, my expectation literally smashed into pieces. And you'll see why.

 photo IMG_3569_zpsfce7a779.jpg

This is the waterfall that is considered an attraction to them. Words couldn't describe how disappointed I was. My colleague also felt the same way, cheated to the max. We were practically feeding the huge mosquitoes there. I was all gung ho and decided that I didn't need to buy mosquito repellent spray, but I gave in and borrowed it in the end.

Passed by many plantations such as corn and cabbages and saw many lorries transporting cabbages and other vegetables as well as warehouses storing those vegetables. It was an eye opener, really. I wondered how people living in those areas lived, with the nearest supermarket so far away, think high up the mountains and to get to the city, a long drive is required. What would they do day to day? The roads were so uneven that at times, it felt like a rollercoaster ride in slow motion.

 photo IMG_3571_zps9827e3fe.jpg

We asked our driver to stop to let us take this photo of the sunset. If you recall, we saw the sunrise, so that makes two! We were really lucky to be able to catch both the sunrise and sunset.

I spent the rest of the journey trying to sleep or pretended to sleep in the hope that I'd really fall asleep. At other times, we bugged the driver to tell us how much longer we'd take. Every time we opened our mouths it'd be 'How long?' Haha and our driver would give us the patronising laugh when it was still quite a distance.

At long last, we reached Berastagi. Our driver dropped us off at the fresh fruit market first.

 photo IMG_3574_zps30cdf166.jpg


 photo IMG_3573_zps6b5bf00b.jpg


Super fresh fruits! I bought 500g of strawberries home. I can't remember how much it cost, but it was really cheap. I think at most SGD $3 or $4. It was my favourite place, to be surrounded by so many fruits! We bought 300g to share as supper, and I bought cherry tomatoes to snack on in the car. I loved the temperature in Berastagi. It was rather cool because it was higher up compared to Parapat.

We had dinner right after we reached the hotel. Buffet style so no prizes for guessing what I took most of. Hahaha.

 photo IMG_3575_zps1bb445b3.jpg


Our hotel room was really big and nice with a high ceiling. I preferred the Berastagi hotel more because there was air con, or was it the natural air con? I really can't remember now.

So this marks the end of day 2!




No comments: