Friday, June 21, 2013

Lake Toba, Medan Day 1

During the Good Friday long weekend, I went to Lake Toba with my colleagues. We bought a groupon deal so everything was already arranged for us. We just had to be there physically. Actually honestly, I wasn't expecting much from the trip since it isn't the typical tourist destination like Korea, Japan, or even Thailand. It's Indonesia and not even the more touristy islands like Bali. I was just looking forward to having a break and looking at nice scenery. I was happy to be taking a plane, even if it was only for an hour. Somehow, taking a plane makes me feel like I'm really getting out of Singapore, unlike taking coaches or ferrys.

Our flight was in the morning at 7am, so we had to be at the airport at about 5. Thankful to my parents for waking up at such an unearthly hour and driving me there and waiting with me till my colleagues arrived. I felt really blessed and loved.

We arrived in Medan at about 9am, there is a one hour time difference between Singapore and Indonesia, as in Indonesia is one hour ahead of Singapore, so I always felt that we have more time over there, and that it's still early even when the time was 11pm on my phone.

It was a first for me to arrive at an airport that doesn't look like an airport at all. We had to take a bus from where the plane landed to the immigration counters. It was such an experience. To get to lake Toba, we first had to travel to Parapat, which is 3 or 5 hours by car. I was shocked at the amount of time spent travelling. Moreover, there wasn't much that can be done when you're in a car. I was really terribly bored.

Stopped by a restaurant for lunch. Food is important to me, I guess my mum knows this very clearly. I'll always tell her that food that is not nice will just be a waste of stomach space to me. And I realised, in Medan at least, once you've eaten it once, you've tried it all. Every meal, it's the standard fare and I can predict what we will have every meal.

 photo IMG_3402_zps12396ee9.jpg

Our first meal. I think I ate the most fish among all of us the entire trip. It's always the usual vegetables, fish in tomato sauce and fried chicken.

 photo IMG_3403_zps8074e8cf.jpg

Old school glass drink bottles which we seldom get to see in Singapore, but such commonplace overseas. More environmentally friendly but less hygienic I guess.

After more time in the car and driving past rubber plantations that I didn't get to take photos of, we finally arrived in Parapat. It's not touristy or anything, just people going on with their daily lives. We then learnt from our driver that we have to take a ferry to Samosir island which is in the middle of lake Toba. There was a queue for the ferry that ferries the cars over and we would have to wait 3 hours in the queue. I almost fainted from the thought of waiting another 3 hours, but he was nice to give us the option to take the ferry across ourselves. He paid for our tickets across and communicated with the people to bring us to our resort.

 photo IMG_3405_zpsc82b3fca.jpg

Our ride across the lake! It's painted with such bright colours.

 photo IMG_3413_zps1cf5a5f6.jpg

Children singing to provide entertainment. At the end of their performance, they came around with open palms asking for tips. It's actually very sad, these kids with bright futures ahead of them having to ask for tips. Something that was always on my mind the entire time was what would I do if I were in their shoes. If I were in their shoes, I'd probably wallow in despair because of the situation I was in, trapped in the cycle of poverty and unable to change that fact no matter how hard I work or how hard I study.

 photo IMG_3416_zps7747e821.jpg

What I went there for. It's nice to look at these photos now, now that I don't remember exactly how I took the photo. We were seated at the open deck, which was unfortunately also where the smokers were seated. We had to endure the cigarette smoke for the most part of the journey. See the lush mountain looking thing in the background? That is part of the volcano that erupted. Can you imagine that? lake Toba was formed when a volcano erupted, and that lake is so wide, so huge, so can you imagine how huge the volcano was? So amazed by nature that it was actually unbelievable until I saw it myself. I understood what my friend said when she 'wow' was the only word she used to describe her experience.

 photo IMG_3423_zps956bb382.jpg

The land and the lake.

 photo IMG_3425_zpsccb64a2e.jpg

Approaching our lodging, Samosir villa resort. I was surprised by how nice it looked. It does sound like I'm kind of cynical because really, I didn't know what to expect after travelling for 4 hours by car and taking in the sights. Exceeded my expectations by so much.

 photo IMG_3428_zps4c7246ba.jpg

They stopped by this 'pond' to let other passengers alight. I actually spotted small fishes in the pond.

 photo IMG_3429_zps8aace1a8.jpg

The leaving ferry with the children who I assume live on Samosir island or Parapat.

 photo IMG_3433-Copy_zps3c520fda.jpg

Happy to finally reach our destination! I think it was already 4pm. The weather is just like Singapore's. I wore jeans in case it'd be cold but it wasn't at all. And yes, that was all I brought! A backpack and my red longchamp tote.

 photo IMG_3434_zps9f654fe3.jpg


 photo IMG_3435_zps9cbed6f8.jpg

Swimming pool that I couldn't swim in because I didn't bring my swimsuit. My colleagues decided to go for a swim after checking in.

 photo IMG_3436_zps752ccf37.jpg
The dining area which was bright and airy.

 photo IMG_3442_zps79c4c049.jpg
Our room was huge and we even had a balcony (that we didn't use at all).

 photo IMG_3443_zps46be9213.jpg
This looks like an alternative exit but the it was blocked.

 photo IMG_3445_zps331be7e0.jpg
While they took a swim, I took a walk outside the resort with another colleague who didn't want to swim as well. The roads are comparatively unsafe because there isn't exactly a pavement, and cars can come very close to you, in both directions if I recall correctly.

 photo IMG_3453_zps1b4b07a2.jpg
Dinner! We were served chicken soup but I barely touched it. It was soaking in oil and my colleague kind of liked it and offered to finish up mine for me so food wasn't wasted. Muahaha and you see the familiar tomato fish again, strategically placed right in front of me (no it was just a coincidence and by pure luck, haha)

 photo IMG_3454_zps0b73305d.jpg
Took a walk again after dinner and had magnum ice cream. It's so cheap in Indonesia. If you're in Indonesia and have very high metabolism please eat this everyday! As usual, I chose the one with the lowest calories, which was the chocolate truffle. Explored the area around our resort and I also found shawls in the nicest colour combinations which I bought without hesitation for my mum and grandma.

 photo IMG_3487_zpsd588b7d2.jpg


There, the vibrant colours of the shawl. I was tempted to buy one for myself too but I knew it would have been a waste since I don't use them at all. After all, I can borrow it from my mum or grandma, right?:)

This marks the end of day 1. We spent the rest of the night playing Saboteur that I brought. It's my new favourite game. I like that it's secretly scheming, and how you need to look at all aspects, how the others are behaving, their facial expressions, the cards they view, the pathways they build.

Day 2 is coming up soon!

1 comment:

jx:D said...

haha the place looks v nice!!!! and relaxing (y)