Sunday, May 13, 2012

LSM3211: Fundamental Pharmacology


Saw a few google searches for LSM4243 directing to my blog so I decided to start doing some reviews for modules. But the LSM4243 review and others like PL1101e will have to come after the release of my results. For now, I'll do reviews for others I did in the past 5 semesters. Can't guarantee that I can remember everything so I might just selectively do some and the format may have changed as well. Hope they might be useful for some people.

So here goes!(:

Year 2011/2012 Semester 1

LSM3211 Fundamental Pharmacology

As you know from the module title, you can expect lots of drug names to memorise. Content wise, it is alot quite manageable because it's mostly stuff from year 2, but you need to know the drug names and how they work. That's the hard part. I think there are about more than a hundred names to memorise, but the good thing is that the lecturers (some of them) tell you which drugs to memorise. If you are not intending to do honors or do anything science related after you graduate, I suggest that you skip this module and take others instead. But I didn't regret taking this because it is indeed quite useful in everyday life, as in knowing what drugs you have been prescribed and its side effects, but the memorising was really not worth it!):

My lecturers were Prof Fred Wong, Prof Peter Wong, Dr Sethi and Prof P.K. Moore. Lectures were webcasted but I never watched a single one. The module consisted of 1 CA (23%) which was MCQs with true/false questions and negative marking, and final exam which consisted of 28 MCQs (same format as CA) and 3 essay questions (can choose questions). There were practical sessions as well, but they were quite slack because we just had to add reagents and get the data from the computer and input them into an excel file to get a graph and not to mention not graded.

In all, a good module to take if you are doing honors because it's a pre-requisite for many year 4 BMS modules. But I really almost went mad trying to memorise all the drug names.

No comments: