Friday, August 02, 2013

Land of Dim sum Day 1

Finally starting on my Hong Kong posts after much procrastination. We left Singapore on flight TR2068 in the afternoon. We took Tiger Airlines. It was my first time taking a budget flight and what I can say is that you get what you pay for. We paid about $250 for the tickets, not the cheapest since I've heard from my friends that it gets even cheaper when other airlines have sale prices. My friend booked her air tickets to Bangkok for less than $200! The aircraft was really small, and the amount of leg room left much to be desired but like I said, you get what you pay for. I like the feeling of having meals on board because it makes me happy but I refused to pay for the local fare they serve on the plane so we ate at the airport at Canele first.

We touched down at about 8 and took bus A21 from the airport to Prince Edward where our hotel was located. We actually thought of so many ways to get to from the airport to the hotel. The first we thought of was taxi, but it was costly. We also thought of taking the airport express, but it was also not worth it for the price. So luckily Amanda found a bus that would take us from the airport to the hotel, and it only cost us only HKD$33 (Approx. SGD$5), compared to S$40 or even more taking a cab. It didn't take us that long to locate the counter to buy the octopus cards and then walk to the bus terminal. We soon found ourselves on the bus, checking social media for updates using the free wifi provided. I was watching out for the stops and where to alight though, afraid that we'd miss the stop. I printed the map from Google maps to guide ourselves to the hotel. It was about 10 to 15 minutes walk.

As we walked, I felt really excited to be on a foreign land, and the dark alleys remind me of the police dramas that I watched. I got a little scared since it was already late and the streets were rather empty and quiet. But we reached our hotel in no time at all.

And yes, the hotel room was indeed very small! It's alright, by Hong Kong standards since they have a shortage of space.

 photo IMG_3635_zps64f74577.jpg

The view when we entered the room.

And I was wondering where the wardrobe was, until we spotted this. I've never seen just a small compartment for clothes. Usually it's at least a cupboard with a door, right?

 photo IMG_3637_zps099c16ba.jpg


Sure, the clever use of mirrors made the room look bigger but the room was still small. Didn't take photos of the bathroom. The shower area was really the smallest I've seen. No area for movement at all.

So after we put our baggage in the hotel, we decided to go and look for food. It was about 11pm and we didn't have any proper dinner, unless we counted the meal we had the airport as dinner. Or maybe we just wanted an excuse to eat. Hahaha. How could we not? In the land of eating and shopping.

 photo IMG_3640_zps05325886.jpg

Night lights.

We walked quite a distance but we still couldn't find food that we wanted to eat, so we settled for the convenience stores. I realise that convenience stores are the first shops we visit when we are in a foreign land, just like we did in Korea.

 photo IMG_3641_zpsaf662807.jpg

I bought bread with cheese cubes interspersed in it and Vitasoy! Locally produced food yo. Haha.
Amanda had curry rice and my Mum had bread as well. I wish they have this in Singapore. Brown rice and cheese, and cut into such thick slices!

Then we walked past a shop selling dou hua with orange sugar on top. Couldn't resist and bought a portion to share. Wow the dou hua was so soft. Really awesome, I'm guessing that it was handmade.
 photo IMG_3642_zpsda210baf.jpg


That's all for day one, since we reached the hotel so late, there was hardly anything we could do but look for food then go to bed after that.

Day two is coming up! Okay maybe not so soon, I haven't filtered the photos yet.




1 comment:

jx:D said...

heehee! can't wait for your day two post!!!:D:D:D:D:D