Sunday, September 08, 2013

Cafe hopping days (I)

This cafe has got to be the one the serves the nicest brunch around, according to my standards. It's one cafe that I want to go and try every single item on the menu, but yet I'd be tempted to stick to my favourite all the time because it's really that good.
My friends introduced me to this cafe and I brought Steph there on a chilly Saturday afternoon and met my friends there again. Reservations recommended though! Steph and I were really lucky to be able to get a small table that wasn't reserved at all. So we could sit until we wanted to leave.

We decided to share so that we wouldn't be so full and so that we can try the french toast that was sold out previously. Also, the portions are quite huge so I say share if you aren't feeling that hungry.

 photo IMG_6081_zps511dfdb4.jpg

Twisted french omelette
I try not to take too many eggs because it's not good for the health but I just had to tell Steph that we had to order this. My friend Cheryl ordered this previously and it looked too good. Tasted awesome as well. Don't think it's just any ordinary omelette like it looks. Hidden within is melted cheddar cheese that flows out when you cut it open. The cherry tomatoes, or maybe it's just small tomatoes were larger than usual. A really nice omelette that I would order again, but I definitely cannot finish one on my own. The bread that came with is not the usual store bought kind. I think they get their bread from a bakery since I saw the bread being delivered while I was there.

 photo IMG_6079_zps83309a7c.jpg

French toast with berries and vanilla flavoured mascarpone cheese
Well, I don't usually fancy french toast because I like my bread plain, but since my friends told me that it's good, it was worth a try. And yes! It was so good! The bread they used was sour dough. I'm really starting to like sour dough bread that I might go and buy sour dough bread for my breakfast. The berries  together with the french toast and maple syrup made for a great combination, not forgetting the cheese. Definitely very sweet, but since it's not an everyday thing and that it was shared, it isn't too bad, right? They have two flavours for french toast, the other being caramelized bananas and walnuts. I suppose that would be nice too but berries are more natural and healthy compared to bananas that have been caramelized right? Hahaha. Steph is the only one who would listen carefully to my grumblings about calories and healthiness in food. I know my other friends totally go 'ahhhhhh you, thinking so much again' and have to wish to listen to all those. But it's true that whenever I order something, I try to weigh the nutritional benefits and choose the healthier one even though it might not turn out to be healthier.

 photo IMG_6076_zpsf1337fcf.jpg

Hot chocolate with low fat milk

The best hot chocolate I've ever had. The low fat version definitely pales in comparison to the full cream milk  version that I had previously, but one has to give allowances for healthier choices right? It still turned out very chocolatey. I'd say chocolate gao gao. Steph didn't agree that it's the best hot chocolate initially but towards the end she agreed because of the thick chocolate at the bottom.

They serve cakes and cupcakes too but we were too stuffed to stomach any more. I tried the strawberry shortcake previously but it's not really my type of cake because I prefer the chocolatey or cheese cakes. That is not to say that it is not nice! Hahaha, but as always, cakes are best shared to divide the calories and I always feel happier sharing and eating it together with a friend.

Steph would agree that this is a cafe worth visiting because she told me that she wanted to come back again. Really glad that she liked it!

Maison Ikkoku
20 Kandahar Street 
Singapore 198885

I'm always torn between going back to cafes I've been to and visiting new ones, but I saw that Maison Ikkoku is only serving eggs benedict for the month of September.. Time to visit other cafes then cos' I'm not a fan of eggs benedict.

 photo IMG_6089_zps1d1fc6b3.jpg
A photo with pretty Steph! We headed to Kissjane to try clothes after that with a full tummy. Certainly, we've come a long way. More to come, surely!

1 comment:

jx:D said...

lol you food critic manzxzxz! ((: