Sunday, January 06, 2013

Work lunches

The good thing about having lunch alone almost daily is that I get to decide what I want to have, without having to consider anyone else's craving, neither do I need to get that look from people eating with me when I don't finish my food. But of course, the downside is having to eat alone, something I'm not very good at. Getting better at it nonetheless. The worst part of eating alone is finding seats. While queuing for food, I'd get so stressed up, afraid that I'd not be able to find

I'm aware that this is not considered as proper food for lunch, but I was given these when we had a health screening, since we all had to fast before the blood test, and I already brought breakfast from home, so I saved these for lunch. 
Finally managed to have the popiah sold near my office this week! The queue has always been so long and I've given up queuing so many times. Imagine my glee when I saw just two people in the queue and proceeded to queue and understood the reason for the perpetually long queues. It was really that good, except that two popiahs are too much for me. I should stick to just one the next time. 
Favourite choice of food for lunch - Yong tau foo soup! I usually just pick six or seven pieces and order soup. Love that it's so healthy but delicious at the same time!

And sometimes there are talks, so lunch is provided. I love the lunches catered because they taste so good, unlike the food we get when we have camps in school - lots of rice with just two vegetable dishes. It's usually bento boxes with chicken and fish and lots of veg, a lot of rice as well but well..I just don't finish them. 
Subway lunch during one of the talks. 

Such nice packaging for the bento box right? My colleagues always comment that it's very good as well. 
Second favourite choice for lunch after yong tau foo! I remember having fish soup noodles for lunch a few days consecutively when I didn't know of the existence of a yong tau foo stall yet.

A rather extravagant lunch I would say! I got a shock when my manager told me to choose a place to have lunch when she came over to accompany me. I didn't have a lot of cash in my wallet (such a -.- moment), so I chose one of the cheaper items on the menu at Ichiban sushi (I think). Ordered my favourite beef. And it turned out that she was treating me because she found out that it was my birthday a few days ago. Such a lol moment and I got worried for nothing. But I also learnt to keep more cash in my wallet for such 'emergencies'. 

No idea why the photo ends up in portrait form though I uploaded it in landscape.Met my Mum for lunch at Crystal Jade Clementi Mall when she had an appointment before work. Boy the food took really long to come, given that we had limited time to eat. I got so panicky because I was afraid I'd exceed my one hour lunch break. In the end they missed out on the broccoli that we ordered and we had to cancel that order.  How could we not order custard buns when we saw it on the menu, and so we did! Haha. They were really huge compared to the ones we had before at Swatow dim sum buffet. I was rather disappointed by the custard bun because the custard didn't 'flow' out like the ones I had previously at Kungfu Paradise and at Swatow Toa Payoh. The custard just seeped into the bun and that was it. My Mum and I shared the fried rice which was really good. It was supposed to be an 일인분 but it was still too much for both of us. The service could have been improved on since it wasn't really full house, and considering that it was lunch hour and customers have limited time to eat and don't have the luxury of time to wait so long for their food. 
 

There is actually Fish and Co at Clementi mall. I wonder when I'll ever get the courage to step into the restaurant and say 'table for one'. Guess it's neverrrrr~~

Sadly my choices are rather limited to these, as well as Mr Bean pancake and soya bean whenever I feel like it. I recently started to like Jollibean's red bean pancake. And the sad thing that I realised is that wherever there is Mr bean, there will not be Jollibean! Oh well. We can't have the best of both worlds. Been trying the red bean pancake at different outlets and really, the standard varies by a lot. Really glad that the one at Civic centre tastes decent. I love those with overflowing red bean. Uh don't need to remind me about the calories. Out the window they go when it comes to pancakes and flour related food. Hahaha. 

Speaking of flour and such, I just made waffles from scratch and used the waffle machine after a long time. It all started when my brother came into my room asking if I wanted waffles from across the road, which I declined. Then my Mum decided to make waffles since we have a machine. Hahaha and then I went to the kitchen and took over the making of it because I wanted to play. It was really fun to make waffles. As with making anything, your skills improve with practice so I made very nice waffles towards the end and sadly, it was also the point when everyone is already so stuffed, so I ended up finishing the last few pieces of waffles. My Mum actually forgot the sugar when she made the first batch, so she made another batch and we added sugar and peanut butter into it, which tasted rather good, albeit the peanut butter taste a little lacking. Couldn't bring myself to add even more peanut butter though because of all the saturated fat and yada yada yada. I wonder what the nicest topping for waffles are. I've only tried nutella which I didn't really like, peanut butter which was sadly not my ideal choice because it was a little too sweet, and maple syrup or honey. What's your favourite topping?(:

No comments: