Saturday, January 05, 2013

2012

Well, so it's 2013 now and I haven't been blogging as often I'd like to. Never thought I'd be saying this, but I have no time! Or I spend my time doing other things like online shopping (I take super long to decide whether to buy this and that, and browse so many sites, plus scrutinise the clothes when they have a zoom-in function. And browse for fun as well), reading (yes it's one of my favourite hobbies, really. I've always stuck to chick-lit because it's light hearted and all, but recently I started reading 'heavier' plots by Jodi Picoult and enjoying them quite a bit), and of course watching shows (whole long list of dramas I want to watch and a backlog of Running man). So this sums up what I've been doing. Okay I realise I sound like a wormmmm. 2012 has been great, don't know what to look forward to in 2013 but I'm optimistic that things will get better.

The main purpose of this entry was to summarise my 2012 (a little late, but just for memory's sake).
1. Starting work
I guess this would be most significant because it's like a new milestone that I've reached. I won't ever forget - 15th Oct 2012, the day I started work! Not forgetting the arduous path that led to me finding the right job. God is good, really. Because I find that everything happens for a reason. We will never know why it happened at that moment, but someday upon looking back, you'll find that His plans are the most perfect. I don't know how my future will pan out, honestly it's still a hazy path ahead and what I once thought would be comfort has gradually turned into confusion again. I know I can't rest on my laurels and will most probably have to consider further education in the near future, but I'll take my time to ponder over what exactly I'll do. Nevertheless, still something that has been weighing down in my mind. I like going to work because of what I do and the freedom it gives me. Like I always say, work can be left in the office, which is why I like it. As long as I get to make a little difference in the lives of others, I am content.

2. Treasuring those who matter
This year has been such a rollercoaster ride for me. I guess I do experience highs and lows in my life every year, but this year, I've experienced the extremes quite a bit, so it really opened my eyes (and heart, I might add) to people who really matter to me. I'm never one to make small talk or keep up pretences with people I'm not close to, so I'm really thankful to the people who've stood by me through the tough times. These people never forsake me when I need comforting. The long period of time I had before I got employed allowed me to spend precious time with my family, something I didn't get to do while still schooling because there was always something to be done, some notes to be read, webcasts to be watched. Words probably can't express how thankful I am so I'm going to express it through my actions.

3. Changing habits and keeping fit
This is something I'm rather proud of, because after all these years of saying that I want to exercise and lose weight, I haven't exactly managed to do it until 2012. Not with my effort alone, but with my friend's encouragement to push me in the right direction, I finally started jogging in February 2012 and kept up with it till about July or so. I started with the intention to lose weight because I somehow managed to eat unhealthily and gain about 5kg over the span of 3 years. Though it was not really obvious to others (Or maybe it was, but all of my friends were too polite to tell me that I got fatter), but I got really unhappy when I looked in the mirror. And although I knew that I was getting heavier, I was not doing anything about it. Yes I know talk is cheap, and I tried to eat less, but that was quite useless. So I eventually started jogging after a wake up call (stepping on a weighing scale). At the start, it was really tough because the last time I jogged was in 2008, but it gradually got easier. And it so happened that the modules I took taught me a lot about the foods that we should choose for healthy lifestyles and some tips on exercising as well, so I changed my eating habits (switched to wholemeal bread, started taking oats, included more fruits in my diet, and of course, cut down on unhealthy snacking) and managed to lose enough weight to reach my targeted weight! So I stopped jogging for a period of time, but managed to continue it again. One thing I'd like to continue in 2013 would be jogging, not for the sake of losing weight now, but simply for health's sake. Sitting in my office and listening to all the advice the nurses dole out to patients make me feel so guilty about not exercising so I'm glad I started again. Signed up for a few runs this year to give myself the motivation to 'train' for them. The photos show the before (left) and after (right). The difference in face isn't really obvious but I did notice the change when I kept buying the wrong sizes when shopping online. And whenever I jog I'd think of being able to fit into nice clothes, so weird but true.


1 comment:

jx:D said...

Yay:D Finally a blog post!(: Heehee, I look forward to more of your food posts!^^