Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Beauty

On the way home today I pondered over the concept of beauty. After spending a huge part of my first salary and possibly even my savings on facial sessions and beauty products recommended by the lady who does my facials, I couldn't help but feel a huge pinch, a really really huge pinch.

Thinking in my heart 'These products better be good and last me a year or more because they cost so much. I'm going to make them last, by using them sparingly each time.'

We all fall prey to the words of beauty advisors, or simply people who claim they know more about beautifying than us. Taken in by their words and believing that we really can become what they claim we can become, we willingly pay for the products and decide to give them a try, forgetting about the huge amount of products we still have sitting at home untouched.

More than the products, I feel it's the glimmer of hope that we pay for. The hope that things will get better. Such is the nature of humans, to always yearn for something better than what they currently have. Hardly ever satisfied, we crave for more. And that is how these businesses thrive, beauty parlours and slimming centres alike.

Such things we all know, yet we still fall. I guess that is how we all are. So there I go again, hoping these products will be the last I try.

Perhaps I should change all the 'We' in the paragraphs into 'I', but I'm pretty sure there are many people like me around so I'll just leave it that way.

On a side note, I think the easiest way to derive happiness from work is to align your own personal goals with the goals of the work you're doing. Once one is able to do that, fulfillment of work-related goals will make one happy and satisfied. Right now, I'm able to say that I've really made the right decision in choosing this job, albeit its emotional side effects and how I get upset and worried when checking results as well as having to continue being independent. But that is how we all learn, when we're forced (not really, I chose it knowingly) into the situation. So I will definitely rise up to the expectations and know that I will emerge a stronger person through it all.




No comments: